2012 marked the 20th anniversary of the Congress for the New Urbanism. Drawing on the research and discussion that has gone on over the past 20 years, they recently published a small booklet entitled Sustainable Street Network Principles in conjunction with the Institute for Transportation Engineers and the Federal Highway Administration. They offer 7 principles for laying out a transportation network that takes into account all of the modes of transportation someone might choose.
- Create a street network that supports communities and places
- Create a street network that attracts and sustains economic activity
- Maximize transportation choice
- Integrate the street network with natural systems at all scales
- Respect the existing natural and built environment
- Emphasize walking as the fundamental unit of the street network
- Create harmony with other transportation networks
You can read more about the background of the project here.
You can download the PDF of the full booklet here.